When Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice hits movies later this month it will get the ball rolling on an entire franchise of DC superhero movies. One of the pictures planned down the line is a standalone picture for Ben Affleck’s new Batman. While that may be something that Warner Brothers wants to see happen, as of right now it’s no guarantee- at least not with Ben Affleck. It appears that he’s focused on another movie.

While it’s becoming standard practice in the superhero movie world to sign contracts for multiple films up front, it appears that Ben Affleck was not interested in doing that. He hasn’t actually agreed to make a Batman movie, because he likes to give each movie he makes the proper attention. He tells Entertainment Weekly that he’s currently concerned with his project based on another novel by Gone Girl author Dennis Lehane.
It’s in development, and right now I’m really focused on finishing Live By Night. That’s where my focus is, and I tend to be a one movie at a time guy. So, when I’m finished with this movie, I’ll then focus on my next movie and figure out what that will be.
Live by Night is a prohibition era organized crime picture that Ben Affleck will direct as well as star in. He’ll be joined by a solid cast that will include Sienna Miller, Zoe Saldana, and Elle Fanning. It had to be delayed already due to the shooting of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which may be part of the reason that Affleck wants to be sure he gives the project the proper attention right now.

To be sure, we’ll still be getting plenty of Batman in the foreseeable future. In addition to his introduction in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, he’ll also be turning up in Suicide Squad, and Ben Affleck confirmed that he is signed up for Justice League. After that, however, things apparently begin to look a little hazy. From everything we’ve heard from Affleck, it sounds like he’s happy with being the new big screen Batman, so it’s unlikely that he’s not interested in doing a Batman film. Instead, it looks like he wants to be sure to give his non-Caped Crusader films the proper attention. Several recent projects including Gone Girl and the Oscar-winning Argo have further proved that the actor is also an accomplished filmmaker. It’s likely he still wants to have time to make these smaller films, and so doesn’t want to overcommit to the cape and cowl.

Recent rumors have implied that Warner Brothers may be looking to move up the solo Batman picture on the schedule, though if they can’t get their actor to commit, that could be a problem. We’ll get to see Ben Affleck play Batman for the first time when Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice hits theaters March 25.