The Walking Dead is arguably at the top of its game. The AMC series’ recent season 5 premiere debuted to its highest ratings ever, and it’s already been renewed for a sixth season, to no one’s surprise.

However, the show’s continued success with audiences doesn’t appear to be keeping its showrunners from taking a few risks. In fact, by the sound of it, The Walking Dead could be headed for a game-changing twist this season.

In an extensive interview with Details, star Andrew Lincoln discusses what fans can expect from season 5. Here’s what he had to say:

“I think the first three episodes are pretty much a body blow—three is an astonishingly brutal and uncompromising episode. But then the story kind of spins off. But I would say that nine, ten, and eleven . . . and twelve . . . actually, the whole season is pretty intense. I’m trying to sort of temper it, but I can’t. It moves very quickly. Lots of new locations, a heck of a lot of new characters. But it is a season where maybe two-thirds has this momentum and this drive, and then the final third is like a completely new show.”

Given the unpredictable nature of the show, it’s hard to guess exactly what twist The Walking Dead has up its sleeve. With confirmation that the series is mapped out through a proposed season 12, it’s safe to say that whatever happens to transform the show’s narrative will not be building to an imminent conclusion. Still, the series has likely reached that point where its storyline could use a new direction, in order to keep fans tuning in and preserve the show’s long-term future.

Now that the show’s spinoff has received an official greenlight, it would make sense to sharpen the focus of The Walking Dead beyond its main characters’ search for survival amid the zombie apocalypse. As discussed on a recent episode of the Screen Rant Underground, the main show could finally start moving towards the search for a potential cure to the zombie state that has plagued our heroes since the show’s pilot.

Of course, such a dramatic narrative development could ultimately play out over the next several seasons. Nonetheless, it would give Rick and his companions more of a mission beyond just staying alive this season – a smart way to keep the zombie series going strong, should the show runners decide to go in that direction.

What do you think will happen in season 5 of The Walking Dead, and how do you think the show can keep things fresh going forward? Sound off with your thoughts in the comments section below.

The Walking Dead airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC.

http://screenrant.com/walking-dead-s...inal-episodes/