Michelle Williams recently confirmed that she’s playing the part of Anne Weying, Eddie Brock’s ex-wife, in Venom , but it seems like she may not go full Symbiote as She-Venom just yet.

Back in June, there were reports that the Venom movie would introduce us to the character of Anne Weying. When Michelle Williams was cast for the film in September , fans immediately concluded that she’d be playing the part. That was only confirmed days ago, when Weying exclusively told Screen Rant that she was indeed cast to play Weying. She’s currently playing coy when it comes to revealing any details.

In an interview with Collider, Williams may have dropped an unwitting hint as to her character’s role. Presented with a Venom shirt, she jokingly insisted that she hasn’t been working with anything like that the last couple of months. Williams continued:

“I think that stuff exists in a realm that I’m not involved in, that stuff exists in the digital realm. And I’m still a human, like, after all this time. They haven’t digitized me.”
It certainly seems to imply that Weying has yet to work with any of the digital crews. Given that’s the case two months into filming, this raises the intriguing possibility that she won’t become She-Venom in the film at all.

That may be a sensible approach on Sony’s part. As Eddie Brock’s ex-wife, Anne Weying is a crucial background character in Venom’s life. She was introduced back in Amazing Spider-Man #375, and played a crucial role in forcing Brock to give up his villainous ways. The issue saw Peter Parker desperately investigate Brock’s history, seeking a clue to his nemesis’s whereabouts. He learned of Brock’s ex-wife, an ambitious lawyer, and sought her out for advice on how to handle Eddie.

Ultimately, it was Anne Weying who persuaded Brock to forge a truce with Spider-Man. There have been reports that Venom will be inspired by the classic Lethal Protector miniseries, which itself flows from the events of Amazing Spider-Man #375. Weying may play a far more important role in Venom than as just another symbiote host.

Of course, the reality is that Venom only started filming in October. It’s possible that Michelle Williams has simply yet to visit the digital teams. She’s remaining very coy about the role her character plays in the film, and is clearly wary of giving anything away. For all that’s the case though, you’d assume her time on set would have begun with a quick visit to the digital department, who would have started working on the She-Venom CGI. That doesn’t seem to have happened, and it certainly hints that Anne Weying may not turn into She-Venom.