Universal to Adapt ‘The Vampire Chronicles’

If you weren’t a fan of Anne Rice then “The Vampire Chronicles” might not be a familiar brand to you. However, you’ve almost certainly heard about one of the films adapted from the book series: “Interview with the Vampire.” Now the whole series could be coming to the big screen thanks to Universal Pictures.

Deadline reported today that Universal Pictures, Imagine Entertainment, and Brian Grazer have all teamed up to adapt the widely popular Anne Rice series “The Vampire Chronicles.” The book series is about to see its 11th entry and the deal gives Universal the option to make films on all of the novels. This would mean that we could see remakes of “Interview with the Vampire” and “Queen of the Damned.”

The book series centered on an 18th century French nobleman named Lestat de Lioncourt who is turned into a vampire. Over the course of the books we see Lestat’s life play out throughout the centuries. Beyond that, I don’t really know much about the character. I thought “Interview with the Vampire” was an alright movie, but I never bothered to read the books.

Another interesting note is that Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are acting as producers on this film. As you might recall, Kurtzman is currently overseeing Universal’s revival of their classic monster franchise. The plan is to try and create a cohesive universe for all of the monsters to exist in. I wonder if this means that Lestat could become a part of that overarching narrative.