Tom Cruise watches a movie a day. Only his movies though. Ok, he's kidding about that part, but the Edge of Tomorrow star did tell Jimmy Fallon that he keeps up with the latest films. Cruise visited The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon last night in anticipation of Edge of Tomorrow's arrival in theaters tomorrow (or tonight, technically). Among the topics of conversation were the actor's movie-watching habits and a bit of nostalgia as he and Fallon discussed LaserDiscs...

"I watch about a movie a day," Tom Cruise told Jimmy Fallon, after a bit of discussion about hockey. "I try to. Yeah, I love movies. I grew up loving movies and had jobs and went to movies. Then I grew up, I got to make movies."

"You don't watch your own movies, do you?" Fallon asked, to which Cruise responded, "Those are the only films that I watch." Of course, he's joking. "Could you imagine? No."

From there, they conversation leads into LaserDisc technology. Jimmy Fallon just so happened to have a LaserDisc copy of Top Gun on hand.

Tom Cruise talked about the quality of the picture being great with LaserDisc -- that's probably especially true by comparison to VHS -- to which Fallon pointed out that he didn't have the best TV to watch it on. And therein lay the problem for plenty of people trying to maximize their home entertainment experience in the pre-HD era, I'm sure. Even those who could shell out for a LaserDisc player and the pricy videos might not have the money (or the space) for a top of the line big screen TV to screen their movies. Alas, DVDs eventually arrived and became the next big format for movies in the mainstream, leaving the LaserDisc to be remembered fondly by those who could afford the format back in the day, to wax nostalgic about it on late night television.

That brings us back to Tom Cruise. Because it's not all about Top Gun on LaserDisc. Edge of Tomorrow is within our grasp! The reviews are impressively positive, with a 90% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Just 10 of the 101 currently listed reviews are negative. And our own Kristy Puchko gave the movie 4 and 1/2 stars.

So we have that to look forward to, and it should be interesting to see how Edge of Tomorrow does at the box office. It certainly has a lot going for it, between the reviews, the interesting premise and Cruise's star-power. In terms of competition, the film faces The Fault in Our Stars, which also opens this weekend and has been generating plenty of buzz. There's also X-Men Days of Future Past, Maleficent and Godzilla, which have already had their opening weekends, but should still be drawing some movie-goers in. Will Edge of Tomorrow win the weekend? We'll know soon enough!