Season 1 of Supergirl largely went off without a hitch, with viewers of all walks of life finding enjoyment from the fun, girl-powered weekly romp. As successful as its freshman effort was, however, the superhero drama has perhaps made even more headlines during its offseason. With the series’ network transition from CBS to The CW and the addition of Tyler Hoechlin as Kara’s cousin, a.k.a. Superman, there has been a lot of news for fans to discuss around the water cooler.

With the addition of the Man of Steel – along with a number of big baddies teased – season 2 of Supergirl looks to be even bigger than the original. Characters such as Metallo and Lena Luthor, the sister to Superman’s arch nemesis Lex Luthor, look to add even more depth and lore to Kara’s story. Some fans might begin to wonder if all these changes will add to the series, or whether they could possibly water down the narrative. According to Supergirl‘s leading lady, however, everything appears to be going according to plan.

In an interview with Collider‘s Christina Radish, Supergirl star Melissa Benoist states that the addition of Superman is a “natural progression” for both the series as well as the character of Kara. When asked if the Man of Steel character might take away from the focus on Supergirl, Benoist had this to say:

“I wasn’t worried about it. I thought it was the natural progression of our story. We spent last season really solidifying how she wanted to approach being Supergirl and being a hero. He’s her only living family member, and I think that’s kind of a necessary relationship to explore, for both characters. I believe it really rewarded us, as a cast. You not only get to see how amazing the relationship between Kal-El and Kara is, but he has relationships with everyone on the show. He has history with a lot of them, and some of them he meets for the first time and it’s hilarious, like with Winn (Jeremy Jordan). It’s only going to benefit the show, and Tyler Hoechlin is the man to do it. He’s perfect in the role, I think.”
http://screenrant.com/wp-content/upl...-Supergirl.jpg

Kara’s cousin, Clark Kent, has been referenced repeatedly throughout Supergirl‘s inaugural season, but viewers have actually yet to meet this version of the character, since his face has never been shown and he has never spoken (except in an online chat with Kara). Up until this point, fans have seen countless posters and commercials co-starring the hero, but Superman won’t actually make his debut until season 2 kicks off.

Luckily fans won’t have to wait long to meet Tyler Hoechlin’s new take on the character, as Supergirl‘s sophomore season begins tonight at 8PM ET, for the first time on The CW.

The Flash season 3 airs Tuesdays at 8pm on The CW, Arrow season 5 airs Wednesdays in the same timeslot, Supergirl season 2 debuts on Monday, October 10, and Legends of Tomorrow season 2 on Thursday, October 13.