DC’s universe-building Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is still more than a year from making its big screen debut. Meanwhile, more and more anticipation is building for its villain-filled followup, director David Ayer’s Suicide Squad.

The film unites an impressive cast of actors, including Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jared Leto, Jai Courtney, Cara Delevingne, Joel Kinnaman and Viola Davis. With the exception of Leto’s Joker, Davis’ role of Amanda Waller is the only character to be featured on the big screen before (albeit in the disappointing Green Lantern).

THR recently chatted with Davis – who currently stars on the hit ABC drama How to Get Away with Murder – about why she took on the role in Suicide Squad. Here’s what she had to say:

“As a comic book and Wonder Woman fan, I love the whole DC Comics universe. I traded comic books as a kid so all of that appeals to me. When you dream about being an actor as a kid, that’s what you dream about. That’s like play acting: being the superhero, getting the gun; it plays into that fantasy. ‘How to Get Away with Murder’ changed my exposure. I don’t know if it changed the quality of roles as much as it changed the exposure. I mean certainly Amanda Waller is a fabulous character.”

A two-time Oscar nominee, Davis does bring a certain level of prestige to the DC Cinematic Universe, and it’s easy to see why the studio would see her as the perfect fit for the role, given the strength and presence Amanda Waller has in the comics. However, it’s even more reassuring that Davis sounds so passionate about the material and being a part of the action onscreen.

All signs point to Waller becoming an ongoing fixture in the films going forward, as she plays the role of an authority figure akin to Marvel’s Nick Fury, and though someone like Oprah Winfrey (another proven acting talent and fine choice for the role) may have lent her built-in fanbase and name recognition to Suicide Squad, it’s the kind of team player mindset Davis is already exhibiting for the role that makes an actor a fan-favorite and a standout onscreen. Just look at Marvel actors like Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Hiddleston, both of whom relish their roles and the global praise they receive from fans.

Time will tell if Davis maintains the level of excitement she has here in future DC projects, but this is definitely encouraging to hear for fans already pumped up about her take on Amanda Waller.

Suicide Squad hits theaters August 5, 2016.