After Insidious: Chapter 2 dominated the box office this weekend; Variety is reporting that the people at Entertainment One, FilmDistrict, and Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions are already working on the third piece of this terrifying puzzle.

As I said before, Insidious: Chapter 2 absolutely owned the box office this weekend, which started with the perfect release date for a horror movie of this caliber, Friday the 13th.

According to Box Office Mojo, the latest installment of the series made just under $41 million this weekend at the Box Office, topping the next in line, mob comedy The Family, by over $26 million.

This is over three times the $13.3 million the original Insidious made over its opening weekend. Even more spectacular is that the latest scarefest was made off of a meager $5 million dollar budget.

According to Variety, screenwriter Leigh Whannell, who wrote the first two Insidious films with writer and director James Wan, has signed on to pen the third installment.

Unfortunately, according to The Verge, James Wan, who is currently filming the 7th movie in the Fast and Furious franchise, will not be returning to the 3rd film.

According to an interview that he did with Moviefone, Wan has decided to retire from the horror genre altogether. This is disappointing to hear, as Wan is responsible for some of my favorite horror movies like Insidious, The Conjuring, and Saw.

However, with Insidious: Chapter 2 being left wide open like the chapter before it, and the return of Whannell to the writing table, I am assured that Insidious 3 will have the same feel as the first two movies, and deliver just as many chills.