STRICTLY Come Dancing star Dr Ranj Singh has revealed that he faced prejudice in the NHS for being gay.

The TV star came out as gay several years ago - after marrying a woman in his early 20s.

Speaking to The Mirror, 39-year-old Ranj reflected on how his sexuality impacted his differing career paths.

The star explained: "The media industry is much more accepting, but I feel like the medical world has a little further to go.

"It’s a bit ironic that the caring profession could ever be prejudiced, but it does happen.

"People like myself and so many others are here to change that, though."

Discussing his coming out journey, Ranj continued: "My journey certainly hasn’t been easy, but is probably similar to many others.

"I came out relatively late – at the age of 30 – having previously been married to a woman I loved.

"That process was heartbreaking for me and my partner.

"I was completely broken. It was the lowest point in my life.

"I can only imagine how hard it was for my wife, though – she didn’t deserve any of that.

"I feel so incredibly sorry for what she had to go through."

Ranj qualified as a doctor in 2003 and went on to work in paediatrics across various London hospitals.

In 2012, the doctor found fame as the presenter of CBeebies TV show Get Well Soon, which he hosted until 2015.

He then furthered his TV career by joining This Morning as a resident doctor, guest-presenting the main show alongside Vanessa Feltz in July of this year.

In August, Ranj was confirmed as a contestant for the new series of Strictly Come Dancing - partnering up with professional dancer Janette Manrara.