Everybody is dying to know more about Star Wars: Episode VIII, so much so, that they're jumping on anything that anybody says in order to get an idea. Adam Driver has now been bitten by the misquote bug. A couple weeks ago he compared the new film to Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, and while he was clear about how he meant that, he apparently chose the wrong film to make a comparison to.

No, no, and that's not even what I said. What I said was the tone of it was different, I didn't say that it was gonna be in the vein of [it]---I was using it as an example, so poor example. Next time I should say---I'm trying to think of another sequel to a movie that's good. When I read the script, it was not what I expected, in the best of ways.

We're not going to beat up Adam Driver too badly. He did his best to specify that when he was comparing Star Wars: Episode VIII to The Empire Strikes Back, he wasn't saying that the tone of the two movies was in any way similar. Rather, he was comparing the way the two films make a complete shift in tone from their predecessor. Still, as popular as Empire is, you're not going to compare a new Star Wars movie to it without catching the ears of a lot of fans. From his comments to Vanity Fair, it would seem that some took his comments to mean that Episode VIII was in the vein of Empire, but Driver reiterates that isn't really the case.

It does have us very curious to see what Star Wars Episode VIII will be like. The Force Awakens was so much like the original Star Wars in structure and tone, that a pivot to something like The Empire Strikes Back feels natural. Shifting into another gear entirely will be somewhat unusual. It's hard to guess what might be in store for us. In Driver's original statement he said that director Rian Johnson "trusts his audience is ready for nuance and ambiguity" which is about the only hint that we have of what they have in store for us next year.

If reading the script for Star Wars: Episode VIII surprised Adam Driver, then we're hoping it will surprise us as well when we see it just over a year from now. What sort of a tone are you hoping for with Episode VIII? Is the fact that the film won't necessarily be as dark as The Empire Strikes Back a problem, or is trying something new the way to go? Let us know what you think in the comments below.