Smallville star Allison Mack has pleaded guilty to the charges against her concerning the NXIVM sex cult. The actress portrayed Chloe Sullivan in the Superman prequel series from 2001-2011.

About a year ago, Mack was indicted on charges of sex trafficking, sex trafficking conspiracy, and conspiracy to commit forced labor. Keith Raniere, the founder of NXIVM, had been arrested a month earlier; and Mack previously pled not guilty to the myriad of charges against her. According to prosecutors, she recruited women into NXIVM, which was ostensibly a self-help group. Not only was the organization tantamount to a pyramid scheme, but Raniere formed a sex cult within NXIVM. Apparently, the main purpose of this secret sect was to groom sexual partners for Raniere. The group was called "DOS," which is an acronym for a Latin phrase. The rough translation is "Lord/Master of the Obedient Female Companions.” Raniere was the leader and sole male member of the group.

Now, Variety reports that Allison Mack has pleaded guilty to the charges. The actress admitted to recruiting women into NXIVM under the guise of joining a female mentorship program. Rather than what they signed up for, these women found themselves reduced to sex slaves who were literally branded with Raniere’s initials. There are two anonymous women mentioned in the indictment against Mack, and the actress faces up to 20 years in prison for each charge. According to Vulture, a tearful Mack pled guilty to to one count of racketeering conspiracy and one count of racketeering, stating, “I have come to the conclusion that I must take full responsibility for my conduct and that’s why I am pleading guilty today.” The actress explained that she joined NXIVM “to find a purpose” and that she “believed Keith Raniere’s intentions were to help people.” She now realizes that she was wrong.

Fellow Smallville star Kristin Kreuk was also formerly involved with NXIVM, but the actress cut ties with the organization after leaving in 2012. Reportedly, she was the one who recruited Mack in 2010. However, Kreuk has been very clear on her lack of involvement with NXIVM since leaving and has stated that she had no knowledge of the secret sect within the organization. She previously released a statement clarifying her relationship to NXIVM on Twitter.

The charges came as shock not only to Smallville fans, but also to Mack’s costars. Over the summer, Michael Rosenbaum (who played Lex Luthor on Smallville), told This Past Weekend that although he didn’t really know Mack well, she was “just a great girl, a great actress”. The actor stated that he was surprised and never would’ve expected Mack to be a part of something like this. The story is so outrageous that it will soon be the focus of both a documentary and a scripted series. While the full extent of Mack’s punishment for these heinous crimes remains to be seen, her testimony will hopefully bring some justice to entire situation.