The official trailer for Sean Penn's TV series-regular debut, The First, is here and it provides an in-depth look at the intense space drama from House of Cards creator Beau Willimon.

The two-time Academy Award winner leads an ensemble cast in the near-future drama about a crew of astronauts attempting to become the first humans on Mars. In the clip, Penn's character, Tom Hagerty, is seen struggling with the demands of the mission on his family. Under the direction of visionary aerospace magnate Laz Ingram (Natascha McElhone), the crewmembers contend with peril and personal sacrifice as they undertake the greatest pioneering feat in human history.

The clip also features Ingram's voice as she pleads with someone off-camera to join her mission. "They all say the same thing," she says. " 'I'll believe it when I see it.' But that's backwards. Belief comes first, only then can you see it. I'm asking you to use your imagination."

In addition to Penn and McElhone, The First co-stars LisaGay Hamilton, Hannah Ware, Keiko Agena, Rey Lucas, James Ransone, Anna Jacoby-Heron, Brian Lee Franklin and Oded Fehr. Executive producers include creator and showrunner Willimon and Jordan Tappis for Westward Productions.

Penn's previous TV appearances include guest roles on series including Friends, Two and a Half Men, Ellen and more. He most recently voiced for an episode of Fox's Family Guy. He is also set to star in and exec produce HBO's Andrew Jackson miniseries, American Lion.

All eight episodes of The First will debut on Hulu on Sept. 14.