Robert Redford has "always been a chance taker".

The 78-year-old actor is regarded one of the finest thespians of our time, with two Academy Awards to prove it. But his success hasn't really been a surprise to The Horse Whisperer star or his mother Martha.

"I've always been a chance taker," he explained to the October issue of America's Esquire. "I think not taking a risk is a risk. And most people [growing up] were critical of that. She [his mom] wasn't."

The star has previously described himself as a bad student during his school years. However, despite any misbehaviour he brought to her door during that time, his mother always had faith that he would find the right path in life.

"I had kind of an erratic, rough childhood," he continued. "There was a lot of impulsive behaviour that I think made a lot of people nervous, but my mom always believed that I would be OK. She believed in me."

His mother was right, and her son went on to win his first Oscar in 1981 for directing Ordinary People. He followed this up with a Lifetime Achievement statue in 2002. He also launched the independent film festival Sundance in 1978.

When he isn't busy directing or promoting the annual event, Robert still likes to take the lead in gripping dramas.

In 2013 he literally made waves as the unnamed man in All Is Lost. He was so good in the film that there was outrage he had been 'snubbed' in the Best Actor category at the Academy Awards. Robert, however, took it in his stride.

“Hollywood is what it is; it’s a business and so when these films go to be voted on, usually they’re heavily dependent on campaigns,” he said at the time, while launching this year's Sundance Festival. “In our case I think we suffered from little to no distribution.

"I’m not disturbed by it, I’m not upset by it, because, like I said, it’s a business."