The My Little Pony toy line has been around since the 1980s, but the franchise as a whole has experienced rejuvenation in recent years thanks to the animated series that's been airing since 2010. Attracting both child viewers and an older audience, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has become so popular that later this year, the adventures of Princess Twilight Sparkle and the gang will continue on the big screen. Along with the TV voice cast returning, My Little Pony: The Movie has been gathering some impressive celebrities for the fun, and we can now add Guardians of the Galaxy's Zoe Saldana to the list.

While Variety confirmed that Zoe Saldana has officially joined My Little Pony: The Movie's voice cast, no details were provided about the character she'll play. Maybe she'll be assisting the colorful equine or maybe she'll be making their lives difficult. We'll have to wait until an official announcement is made or until Saldana is heard in one of the the trailers. Saldana is the latest star from the worlds of movies and TV to be added to My Little Pony: The Movie, following behind Emily Blunt, Kristin Chenoweth, Michael Peņa, Uzo Aduba, Taye Diggs and Liev Schreiber (who will be voicing one of the villains). Pop singer Sia will also appear as Songbird Serenade, a "pop star" pegasus that's designed after Sia's unusual stage look.

If you've followed cinematic sci-fi over the last decade, Zoe Saldana should be quite familiar to you. She's played Neytiri in Avatar, Nyota Uhura in the Star Trek reboot movies and Gamora in Guardians of the Galaxy, a role she'll reprise this May for the sequel. Saldana's other notable credits include Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, The Losers and Colombiana, and she can currently be seen opposite Ben Affleck in Live by Night. My Little Pony: The Movie will be a good way for Saldana to get some exposure among the kiddies who aren't old enough yet to see her more intense and action-paced performances, not to mention give this project the Marvel bump. That's a thing, right?

Spinning out of the TV series (which is kicking off it seventh season later this year), My Little Pony: The Movie will follow Princess Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkiepie, Fluttershy and Rarity as they venture out of Equestria to stop an overwhelming force that threatens to destroy Ponyville. The animated flick is directed by Jayson Thiessen and written by Meghan McCarthy, both of whom work on the show.

My Little Pony: The Movie arrives in theaters across the world on October 6, 2017. If you want to check out the TV series, it can be found on Discovery Family.