The Nun director Corin Hardy, fresh from seeing his horror smash become the most successful instalment in The Conjuring series to date, is set to direct three episodes of upcoming gangland thriller series Gangs of London.

The show, announced last year, comes from director and writer Gareth Evans and cinematographer Matt Flannery, the duo behind the acclaimed The Raid series and upcoming horror Apostle, and will depict a version of contemporary London that has been ripped apart by the violent, destructive power struggles of international criminal organisations.

The news was unveiled by Pulse Films, which is co-producing Gangs of London with Sister Pictures for Sky Atlantic and Cinemax. The series marks Pulse's first major move into TV drama.

“Gareth and I share a mutual appreciation of each other’s work and an affinity for genre cinema, so it’s a real honour to become part of his and Matt’s intricate web of crime in their new show Gangs of London," said Hardy. "The multi layered story weaves emotional drama with blistering action set pieces which I found enthralling to read. I am looking forward to bringing something rich and cinematic to the city streets!"

Added Evans: "I couldn't be happier than to be collaborating with Corin on this show. Having been a huge fan of his for some time, Corin's genre sensibilities and ambitious scope perfectly compliment the cinematic landscape we strive to achieve for Gangs of London."

The series will be executive produced by Pulse Films’ Thomas Benski and Lucas Ochoa alongside Sister Pictures’ Jane Featherstone and Sky’s Anne Mensah and Gabriel Silver.