A Nightmare on Elm Street star Heather Langenkamp has once again made it quite clear that she wants to reprise her role of Nancy Thompson. Nancy was the heroine in Wes Craven's original A Nightmare on Elm Street in 1984, but she also returned for A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. After Nancy died in Dream Warriors, Langenkamp returned to the series one more time in 1994 for Wes Craven's New Nightmare, although she played herself rather than the character Nancy.

The role of Freddy Krueger was made famous by actor Robert Englund, who has portrayed the serial killer in a total of eight Nightmare on Elm Street movies and a TV series in the '80s called Freddy's Nightmares. The last movie Englund played Freddy in was Freddy vs Jason in 2003, before he surprised the horror community by reprising his role as Freddy in an episode of The Goldbergs. Englund had previously reported that he was too old to play Freddy again and even suggested Kevin Bacon take over the role for a reboot, but last October the actor did reveal that he would be up for playing Freddy in one final movie. Langenkamp was also quick to express her interest in a Nightmare on Elm Street sequel the following week and now, she has once again talked about Nancy's return.

When speaking with ComicBook, Langenkamp revealed that she would love to get the opportunity to play Nancy again. The actress seemed excited to reprise her famous role, but did reveal that she was skeptical about somebody being able to develop a story that could bring her character back from the dead in a meaningful way. That being said, she also touched upon the passion the horror community has for the films and thinks that a movie studio should give fans what they want in the form of a new movie. Langenkamp said about her possible return:

"I would really love to reprise Nancy in a way, because I feel that there's more of that story to be told, certainly, but I don't know if there's anyone out there who is as imaginative as Wes Craven, who could figure it out. I just don't know. I don't see enough great storylines that would incorporate Nancy in any universe. I just don't know if that exists, but some brilliant person might be working on something."

While the Nightmare on Elm Street movies do have a large and loyal fanbase, fans haven't gotten a new movie since the reboot in 2010. The reboot starred Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Krueger and Rooney Mara as Nancy Holbrook, but the film was mostly panned by fans and critics. In later Nightmare on Elm Street sequels, Freddy was turned into a more comedic figure, but the reboot managed to bring him back to his darker roots. However, fans made their hate for the film quite known, solidifying that nobody can ever replace Englund as Freddy.

Combining Englund and Langenkamp's willingness to return for another movie and the fan demand for the project, it certainly seems like another A Nightmare on Elm Street sequel has the potential for success. Horror reboots often have trouble connecting with fans, given how passionate people are about the originals, so a sequel seems like a much safer bet for A Nightmare on Elm Street. The Halloween series managed to do this successfully just last year by retconning all of the sequels and having the new film take place after the original from 1978. Doing the same thing with A Nightmare on Elm Street could yield similar results while also allowing Englund and Langenkamp to return to the series in a meaningful way, but only time will tell if something like that will ever happen.