Samuel L. Jackson’s MCU return as Nick Fury may have to wait until 2019, with him confirming he’s not involved in Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, or Untitled Avengers. Fury has been a recurring character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe since the very beginning, and has given Jackson plenty of opportunities to play the character as a result. His numerous appearances came in the first two “Phases” of this universe, but he’s yet to return in Phase 3.
Jackson isn’t done with Fury just yet and Marvel isn’t ready to get rid of him either. He was recently confirmed to be part of Captain Marvel, but was also thought to be involved in both of the upcoming Avengers films. As of today, Fury is not set to appear in them anymore and is still out of Black Panther.
Yahoo Movies UK spoke with Jackson while promoting The Hitman’s Bodyguard and they asked him about his upcoming MCU schedule. Surprisingly, it is rather vacant of Fury appearances. Despite previously saying he thought he was in Avengers 3 & 4, that is not the case now. He also reaffirmed that he won’t be appearing in Marvel’s first film starring a black hero.

I wasn’t in the ‘superhero argument’ movie [‘Captain America: Civil War’], I’m not in ‘Avengers 3 and 4’. They’re shooting them now, and they haven’t called me yet. They wouldn’t let me go to ‘Black Panther’-ville, so it’s kinda like how you gonna make a black Marvel movie and not let Nick Fury show up in it?!
Jackson has said before that he would not be appearing in Black Panther and continues to voice his frustrations with not appearing. However, it was widely believed that his absence there would be made up for should Fury and T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman) crossing paths in Infinity War. But, if Jackson is to be believed and Marvel doesn’t call in any last minute appearance, that won’t be happening next year.
While him missing out on Black Panther is something that was known before, it is odd that he is now saying he isn’t in either of the next two Avengers films. Not only does it contradict what he said prior, but is also strange when considering previous reports. In the midst of Infinity War‘s Europe production tour, it was reported that Jackson was heading to set to join the ensemble cast. It now appears that this report was incorrect or Jackson is trying to hide the fact that he is appearing.
If he was at one point part of either of the next two Avengers flicks, it is unknown what forced Fury out. Maybe it was the decision to set Captain Marvel in the 1990s and give him a big role to play. Depending on the size of his role, he will be filming as young Fury at the same time he would be needed for Avengers 4. That said, Marvel Studios is incredibly secretive and could give Jackson a call any day now to tell him of his role. As possible as that may be, he is currently not going to appear in any of these films.

Source