NEW trailer for The Curse Of La Llorna has left fans traumatised and "too scared to sleep".

The advert for the horror film, which comes out in April next year, sees a terrified boy and girl being pursued by a figure in a white cloak and with blood streaming from her eyes.

It focuses on the real life legend of La Llorna - meaning The Weeping Woman - who in Mexican folklore is the ghost of woman called Maria who killed her children by drowning them in the river to get back at their cheating father.

Barred from entering heaven until she finds them, she cries as she searches and often causes bad things to happen to those near her.

This story is the basis of the new film which sees a social worker and widow, Anna Garcia, investigate the disappearance of two children in 1973.

However, as she explores what happened to them, supernatural occurrences begin to haunt her own family.

The trailer shows a snapshot of the spooky film, and gives horror fans a first glimpse at La Llorna - complete with deathly pale face and blood dribbling from her eyes and mouth.

Viewers have taken to Twitter to share their shock at the clip, which also features dead bodies, terrified children and a creepy priest.

One wrote: "Uhhh I just saw a trailer for la llorona and now I’m scared to go to sleep."

Another commented: "My mom’s stories of La Llorona traumatized me to the point where I don’t even want to watch the trailer because I’ll literally s*** my pants and never sleep."

It comes after a teaser trailer for new horror film The Nun was banned by YouTube in August.

Users of the video-sharing site had been left petrified by the pop-up advert for the scary movie.

The prequel to The Conjuring 2 tells the story of a team who head to the Vatican to investigate a nun's suicide.

But people had complained about a teaser advert for the film which popped up on people's screens without warning and showed a nun with bloody fangs and green eyes violently screaming at the camera.

YouTube subsequently announced they had removed it from their website.

However, fans can still see the full trailer which gives a no less terrifying peek at the new scary flick.

YouTube users had previously taken to Twitter to complain about the unexpectedly scary pop-up clip that left them jumping out of their skin.

One wrote: "WARNING! If you see an ad on youtube with the volume sign being turned down and nothing else, ITS A JUMPSCARE for the new NUN movie coming out. i advise you look away and/or turn down the volume if you have anxiety or just straight up hate jumpscares, pls rt to save a life."

Another commented: "I'm still shaking, even going into it knowing what to expect."

A third shared: "The preview for #TheNun came on tv, and I got scared looking around my room & stuff lmao!!!"

Fans were first given a look at the new scary flick in June.

Those who have seen The Conjuring 2 will have already encountered the terrifying nun that now stalks a remote convent.

The latest instalment of the hit franchise came out last month.