KATE Oates has revealed her massive plans for EastEnders including a huge storyline that scares even her.

Speaking exclusively to The Sun Online's Soap Bubble in her first interview since she began work at the BBC soap a few weeks ago, Kate spoke about her plans for the soap and how she wants to bring her ability to break down barriers to the third soap she has helmed.

She said: "There is something that I’m thinking about that the audience could say is an issues led storyline.

"I think it will be character led and the long-term arc will be character led but there’s definitely an issue in there to discuss.

"I think anything important should be approached with a certain degree of nerves - if you’re saying anything important you should care about it."

The award-winning executive producer who left Coronation Street earlier this year and before that was in charge at Emmerdale, also sought to calm some fans' fears that she would be making huge drastic changes to some fan favourites.

In particular The Carters won't be leaving anytime soon, and they definitely won't be leaving the Queen Vic.

She said: "I love the Carters. I always want to see them tested but that doesn’t mean not seeing them in the Vic. I like them in the Vic and I think Danny and Kellie are a brilliant soap pairing.

"They’ve got an amazing range because as well as the drama they’re capable of such warmth and I think that’s when the audience loves them at their best, when they’re actually showing that full range.

"So no, I don’t have any kind of plans to shake that up. I’m a big fan of the Carters so no no plans to get rid of them. And also Danny’s teaching me to speak cockney so..."

And while Kate's work on the soap won't be seen on screen until February with episodes she has begun to have a hand in, she did tease what's coming up at Christmas.

"Well Christmas isn’t mine but it’s going to be big on the old Albert Square. It’s as big as ever and I’m watching it as a viewer because it was all kind of in hand as I got there. The episodes that I’ve started to have a hand in are from February onwards but John’s still execing."

And teasing what's coming up for Christmas and beyond.

"We’ve got some good Mitchell stuff on the storyboard, the Phil, Keanu, Sharon stuff is all very exciting, we’ve got some good stuff for Tiffany with her having taken herself into a dark world.

"I’m picking up on stories that have already begun here."

And Mel Owen's storyline is going to take a dramatic twist in the new year.

Kate teased: "Mel’s in a bit of a pickle which will pick up in the New Year.

"We’re going to be flexing Tamzin Outhwaite’s muscles a little bit so that’s exciting. The Slaters are a really vibrant precinct and they’re just as lively as ever so yeah.

"We’ve got some good stuff in the works."

And in typical fashion, Kate is taking the titanic job of helming one of the nation's big three soaps - the only person to ever have done all three - in her stride.

Speaking at the Inside Soap Awards she said: "I’m looking forward to the whole new canvas of it because I haven’t worked for the BBC in a long time and I haven’t worked on EastEnders ever.

"With Corrie and Emmerdale I’d been in both shows under different guises.

"I was Story Editor at Emmerdale before I produced it and I was assistant producer at Corrie before I produced that so this brand new. I’m just excited about the whole new spectrum of characters and behind the scenes talent."

As well as EastEnders, she will also oversee both Casualty and Holby City adding masses of work to her already busy job.

But Kate's not worried and after winning multiple awards and seeing both of her previous shows hit ratings highs under her tenure, she's ready for the challenge.

She said: "I keep saying I’ve got good people behind me and luckily the talent is there so it is daunting but you’ve just got to have faith in yourself and ask for help when you need it and you’ve got to use the amazing talent around you and hopefully it will fall beautifully into place."

And she discussed leaving her previous shows in award-winning shape with her storylines picking up gongs after she had moved on.

Kate added: "I think a big part of the job is if you look after a show for two years and all you do is get your paw prints all over it and you don’t care if it does well after you’ve gone then you haven’t done your job properly.

"What you should be doing is making the show as strong as it can be while you’re there and then leave it in the best possible shape for the next person.

"And if you can leave a story cupboard full of amazing things and they can run with that in their own brilliant way and they can make them even better then you’ve done your job properly. And I think that’s what you should be doing."

And now she's underway at EastEnders she faces the gargantuan task of repeating her success at the nation's third biggest soap.

Speaking about what it was like to start work at the legendary studios in Elstree, she said: "I was just excited! Literally just excited. I had lots of chats with John [Yorke, EastEnders outgoing boss] before I went, he and I got together and had some drinks and some meals and some conversations.

"I was watching lots of it and trying to do as much research as possible and once I got there I just went into work mode and I just started working.

"Next thing you know three weeks have passed and it feels like you’ve been there forever and you’ve got a big storyboard up, storylines are coming out and it feels like second nature."

As for what's on her brand new storyboard, Kate has promised to stamp EastEnders' former slogan - Everyone's Talking About It - right back on it where it belongs.

And who better to do than the woman who shaped the national conversation after bravely raising the controversial subjects of grooming gangs, male depression and suicide and male rape with a succession of hard-hitting storylines in Coronation Street.

She said: "It's more about making sure the old tag line of EastEnders - Everyone’s Talking About It - and that’s what we want to make sure is happening.

"I’m working with a lot of people who are really proud of that show and really love it and really carry it in their hearts and it’s about doing my best to bring their talents to the fore.

"I just want to make sure it’s really relevant talked about drama and unmissable."

And one thing she's keen to increase is diversity with EastEnders coming under fire for its lack of LGBT representation.

Asked about whether she had any plans to introduce any LGBT characters into the show, she said: "I have a reasonable track record about that and diversity of all kinds. Diversity is definitely high on the list so yeah, watch that particular space."

But she was keen to praise the show's cast and she can't wait to get started telling stories with them.

She said: "It really is a great ensemble cast and that’s a gift in my job. It’s what you need. It’s a whole spectrum of people and I’ve got that.

"There’s a lot of diversity in terms of ages and character profiles so that means we’ve got a really broad palate of story."