Netflix keeps expanding on the world of animation with an adult-themed animated anthology series from Tim Miller and David Fincher, titled Love, Death & Robots. The streaming platform has given a place to filmmakers, writers, and stories that might not be entirely suitable for television (for whatever reason), and continues to produce original content both for children and adults.

In the world of animation, Netflix has been a home for a number of series, both original (such as Guillermo del Toro’s Trollhunters, and The Dragon Prince) and reboots and revivals (She-Ra and the Princesses of Power). Although animated series and films are usually aimed for children, Netflix has brought animated content for a more mature audience, and will continue to do so with a new animated anthology series, presented by two well-known names in the animation and film industries.

Netflix announced a new project titled Love, Death & Robots, an animated anthology series presented by Deadpool director Tim Miller and David Fincher. This series is a collection of 18 shorts that span the science fiction, fantasy, horror, and comedy genres, with Miller and Fincher executive producing along with Jennifer Miller and Josh Donen. Miller said in a press release:

“Love, Death & Robots is my dream project, it combines my love of animation and amazing stories. Midnight movies, comics, books and magazines of fantastic fiction have inspired me for decades, but they were relegated to the fringe culture of geeks and nerds of which I was a part. I’m so f––ing excited that the creative landscape has finally changed enough for adult-themed animation to become part of a larger cultural conversation”.

The project brought together animation studios, directors, and artists from all over the world to create shorts that are “charged with a mix of energy, action, and unapologetic dark humor.” The animation style will vary from traditional 2D to photoreal 3D CGI, and each story will be 5-15 minutes long. Netflix also shared a couple of teaser images, which you can check out above.

Tim Miller has a strong background in animation and visual effects. Prior to his directorial debut with Deadpool, Miller co-founded Blur Studio, a visual effects, animation, and design company. In addition to this, this is not the first time Miller and Fincher have worked together. Back in 2008, Miller was set to produce and direct one of eight animated tales based on the sci-fi and fantasy magazine Heavy Metal, with Fincher and Kevin Eastman attached as producers. Miller also designed the title sequence of Fincher’s The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Aside from the adult themes that will be addressed in these shorts, it’s going to be interesting to see all the different styles and approaches from animators from different parts of the world - and, of course, the touch of darkness that only Miller and Fincher can bring. Love, Death & Robots doesn’t have a release date yet, but we will keep you updated on any details regarding this series.