With the stunning and awesome success of the Marvel franchise, one gripe that many people have is that there has been an aura of machismo with the direction the films are going. With only one supporting female superhero character currently starring in the string of films the studio has put out, many area wondering when a female lead will emerge and star in a film over a male lead.

According to Academy Award winning actress Natalie Portman, the time is near. She recently spoke about a female Marvel superhero and said that not only has she heard rumblings about the studio wanting to put out a female superhero movie, there might be one coming very soon.

Per SciFiNow:

“There are definitely many strong women, but it will be exciting when there is a central female character which I think is coming – I have heard is coming – and, of course, also a central non-white character will also be exciting. Title characters. But they do definitely have strong female characters in them and I think it’s a testament to the people who run Marvel, their respect, their just normal human respect for women, the way they want to characterise them; you can tell when men talk to you, as just a person or as a ‘woman’”

While Portman herself may not be starring in the superhero movie, it’s much anticipated news for fans of both comics and the Marvel movies that have come out. It also shows that Marvel is continuing to pioneer the comic book movie scene as a female superhero movie from them would no doubt beat Warner Bros. and DC to the punch.

It’s kind of like the space race with the Russians but instead of this being a technological feat, it’s more or less a long overdue idea that someone is finally getting around to. Mind you, we’ve had female superhero movies in the past, but not any good ones and none in this golden era for the comic book movie.

We’ve had female characters, not not leading female characters that are billed over their male co-stars. The time is now for a female superhero movie and Marvel yet again seems to be leading the charge.