USA Network confirmed today that Mr. Robot will end with season 4 as its last season. Though rumors had been swirling that season 4 might possibly be the conclusion of USA’s popular drama, the news confirming Mr. Robot’s end still deals a blow to devoted fans of the series who have been following the anarchist exploits of Elliot and his group since the beginning.

Mr. Robot is a prestige drama that many consider to be a part of today’s “golden age” of television, helping push the boundaries of what television programming can be. Beginning back in 2011, Mr. Robot immediately made a huge impression on television audiences with its ambitious visuals and storytelling that provided commentary on politics, society, and mental health. Sam Esmail’s series also opened doors for USA Network, helping it compete with other TV programming powerhouses like HBO and Netflix. Mr. Robot encouraged USA to explore more unique dramas outside of its typical wheelhouse, such as Jessica Biel’s The Sinner or the upcoming television spinoff of The Purge.

But all good things must come to an end. Importantly, the decision to end the series with its fourth season did not come from USA Network, but Esmail himself. The fourth and final season of Mr. Robot will premiere on USA sometime in 2019. The creator of Mr. Robot told THR,

“When I first created the world of Mr. Robot, I thought it would be a niche television series with a small, cult following. Over the past three years, it has become so much more, and I am continually humbled by the show’s recognition and by the amazing cast and crew that work tirelessly to help bring my vision to life. Since day one, I’ve been building toward one conclusion — and in breaking the next season of Mr. Robot, I have decided that conclusion is finally here.”

For those who have been following Mr. Robot in the headlines, this reveal might not be too much of a surprise. Earlier this month, Christian Slater (who plays the titular character Mr. Robot in the series) speculated that the fourth season might be the show’s end, explaining that Esmail always anticipated a four-season story arc ever since the beginning of the series. There is some good news, however. When Mr. Robot was renewed for season 4 at the end of last year, it was initially planned to be on the shorter side with only eight episodes. But these plans have since changed, and the final series will now reportedly run with 12 episodes. Still, USA Network will have to find a way to fill the large void Mr. Robot will leave behind, as the show is one of the network’s strongest series.

Mr. Robot is known for always ramping up the drama in significant ways with every new installment of the series. Season 3 ended with a reversal of season 1’s anti-capitalist plot to bring down E Corp, the largest bank conglomerate in America, which is a pretty explosive place to pick the narrative back up again in season 4. Whereas season 3 was supposedly the most difficult season of all for the show’s characters, there’s no doubt it will become even more difficult for Rami Malek’s Elliot and everybody around him with the episodes to come. Fans can expect that Esmail will really turn up the heat with season 4 and provide a truly mind-blowing conclusion to wrap up his memorable series.