MONTY Python’s Terry Jones now barely recognises his former comedy co-stars after his dementia battle took a dramatic downturn, his close pal has revealed.

The actor, 76, was diagnosed with the disease in 2015 after he began forgetting lines during the troupes Flying Cirus show at London’s O2 in 2014.

And tragically, fellow Python Terry Gilliam says he now struggles to remember his friends and admits the actor has “moved into another world”.

Terry said: “I saw him a few months ago on Hampstead Heath. I find it difficult as he finds it hard to know who I am. This is a very dear close friend.

“I look in his eyes and I am not sure he recognises me. He walks along the Heath as Terry likes to get outside. Terry is in his own world is quite happy. I just miss him. It touches me.”

He suffers from frontotemporal dementia a form of the disease which affects behaviour and language often presenting as being insensitive or rude.

Both actors formed part of BBC comedy troupe Monty Python starring John Cleese, 78, Eric Idle, 75, Terry Jones, 76, and Graham Chapman, 48.

They performed from 1969 until 1983 and later made a series of comebacks including the 2014 show at the O2 and a Not the Messiah show at the London’s Royal Albert Hall in 2009.

Terry added: “We argued our positions and fought for what we believed in. Terry has moved into another world. I miss arguing with Terry. He was always passionate about things. It is hard when you have spent your life arguing, fighting and being inspired by someone. When that character is not there anymore that is the sad thing. I hope he is content where he is that’s all.”

In an interview in April last year his daughter Sally insisted that the actor could still recognise friends and family. She said: “Friends often ask: will he recognise me?

“I tell them: of course he will. It is his speech that has gone. In fact, he loves seeing friends. His only problem is that he no longer has the ability to tell them how pleased he is to see them.”

Terry revealed he was battling with Dementia in September 2016 after Bafta Cymru announced he had been given a special award for outstanding contribution to film and television.

He later attended the event with his son Mark speaking on his behalf.