Rachel McAdams doesn't define herself by her box-office success

The actress can currently be seen on the big screen in A Most Wanted Man, alongside the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. Despite starring in successful films including The Notebook, Sherlock Holmes and About Time, she doesn't let her career dictate her life.

"I'm pretty ambitious, although I don't define my life in terms of how famous I am or how my films do at the box office," she revealed to British magazine Hello! "You have to be careful to not get caught up in that because this is a profession where you often go through highs and lows and it's hard to always find one great project after another."

Rachel's looks have landed her the lead in a number of romantic films during her career. While she is able to combine her beauty with her talent, the 35-year-old is glad she doesn't face the same level of attention as some of her peers.

"I've never been interested in the glamorous side of the business," she added. "I don't think I'd be happy if I had to deal with the kind of pressures actresses like Nicole Kidman or Julia Roberts have to deal with."

However, Rachel is grateful to her job for giving her the chance to travel the world and work in some amazing places. For A Most Wanted Man she was based in Hamburg, a city the actress enjoyed spending time in.

"It's a beautiful city," she gushed. "I love riding bicycles and I was able to ride all over the city and explore different areas. I'd love to go back there one day."