It’s no secret that the quality of the once superior The Simpsons has dramatically dropped over the course of the last decade. With the likes of Family Guy and other popular shows on Sunday, The Simpsons hasn’t been the dominating force it once was. The lack of interest in the show extends beyond fans of the show and straight to series creator Matt Groening.

In an interview with a hometown television station KBBL-TV, Groening says he doesn’t even watch The Simpsons anymore and thinks the show should have ended years ago.

“I’m surprised The Simpsons is still on TV, frankly. I think we should have ended it years ago … I don’t know why Fox keeps renewing it. The jokes aren’t good, the storylines are a mess and episodes are forgettable. I think the staff and co-creators agree. But the money keeps rolling in and Fox says we’re better than ever, so what do you do?”
The comments are painful for fans of the show to hear but the echo basically every critique of the show in it’s current form. Maybe it’s nostalgia that is keeping the show alive, as there’s two generations of kids who haven’t known a world where The Simpsons doesn’t exist.

But Groening’s comments may signal that the end of the long and winding road is near for The Simpsons. All good things must come to an end and while Breaking Bad went out on it’s own terms a it’s peak, The Simpsons has limped on long after it should have been killed.

Do you think it’s time for The Simpsons to end? Sound off in the comments section