Martin Scorsese has hinted that his legendary career as a director may be coming to an end after admitting he only has "a couple more" films left to make.

Scorsese, renowned for his work on films such as Raging Bull and Taxi Driver, was speaking at a Q&A session at the Marrakech Film Festival when he admitted that other commitments limited the amount of time he could spend on his work.

"I have the desire to make many films, but as of now I'm 71 and there's only a couple more left if I get to make them," he said. "I miss the time when I had the desire to experiment and try different kinds of films, I miss that time, but that's done, it's over. There is obligation as you get older, you have family."

Scorsese also paid tribute to actor Leonardo DiCaprio, who he has worked with on films including The Aviator and Gangs Of New York, and who will also star in his forthcoming flick The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Revealing that his working relationship with DiCaprio had extended his career, he said: "As you get older it gets physically difficult and also the business especially - the financial issues. You're responsible for a lot of money, if you get it. It's all pressure, but can you do it? His enthusiasm and excitement really kept me going, for another five pictures now."

The Wolf Of Wall Street stars DiCaprio as Jordan Belfort, a flashy New York stockbroker whose extravagant New York lifestyle comes to a sudden end when he's convicted of fraud and money laundering. It's based on Belfort's bestselling memoir of the same name, which was published in 2008.

The film's cast also includes The Walking Dead's Jon Bernthal, Matthew McConaughey, Jonah Hill, Spike Jonze, Margot Robbie, Joanna Lumley and The Artist's Jean Dujardin. Watch a trailer for the film, which will open in UK cinemas on January 17, 2014, by clicking below.