He first took on the role of the now iconic Luke Skywalker back in 1977.

And it seems Mark Hamill is not completely satisfied with how the character was developed for the latest Star Wars installment The Last Jedi.

In a recent press junket promo clip, the 66-year-old actor revealed that he especially disagreed with how Luke was portrayed in the Rian Johnson-directed film.

'I said to Rian, 'Jedi don't give up,' recalled Hamill, adding 'I mean, even if he had a problem, he would maybe take a year to try and regroup. But if he made a mistake, he would try and right that wrong.'

He then got somewhat more philosophical while confirming that he believed his character from the original trilogy would've handled his life differently.

'Right there we had a fundamental difference, but it's not my story anymore,' he admitted, before reiterating 'It's somebody else's story.'

Hamill then got somewhat frustrated in recounting how the director wanted him to play the role: 'Rian needed me to be a certain way to make the ending effective...that's the crux of my problem. Luke would never say that. I'm sorry. Well, in this version, see, I'm talking about the George Lucas Star Wars.'

He then moved on to how he tackled playing Johnson's version of the beloved Luke Skywalker.

'This is the next generation of Star Wars, so I almost had to think of Luke as another character, maybe he's Jake Skywalker. He's not my Luke Skywalker, but I had to do what Rian wanted me to do because it serves the story well.'

Luckily, it seems Hamill also has some perspective when it comes to the fate of his character.

'I still haven't accepted it completely. But it's only a movie,' he said.

By the end he was quite complementary of Johnson, whose last big action movie was 2012's Looper.

'I hope people like it. I hope they don't get upset, and I came to really believe that Rian was the exact man that they need for this job,' confirmed Hamill.