IT WAS only after reading online that Margot Robbie found out she is to play the lead in Quentin Tarantino’s next film.

“I read about the offer to work with Tarantino online two days ago, I didn’t even know,” Robbie told Confidential, walking the green carpet for the Australian premiere of her new film Peter Rabbit at Sydney’s Entertainment Quarter.

“I called up my team and said, ‘is there an offer in?’ and they said there is,” she told The Sunday Telegraph today.

Tarantino is understood to have the Australian Oscar nominee in his sights to play late actor Sharon Tate in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Tate was killed by Charles Manson’s associates in 1969.

It’s been a huge few months for Robbie, whose star has risen exponentially thanks to a string of outstanding performances and an Academy Award nomination for I, Tonya.

In Peter Rabbit, a partly-animated film made in Australia and based on the classic book by Beatrix Potter, Robbie voices the character of Flopsy while fellow Aussie Elizabeth Debicki is Mopsy.