House of the Dragon star, Steve Toussaint, is teasing Lord Corlys' mindset heading into season 2. The prequel series to Game of Thrones, created by George R.R. Martin and Ryan Condal, continues to adapt A Song of Ice and Fire, illustrating the events leading up to the Dance of the Dragons. It focuses on House Targaryen and the power conflict that divided its royal family. Toussaint's Corlys Velaryon, The Lord of Driftmark and husband of Rhaenys Targaryen, often tried to protect his lineage, but his loyalty never seemed to extend to the Hightowers and Greens. After the disastrous events that took place over the course of its debut season, Corlys ultimately sides with Rhaenyra and the Blacks, and audiences are eager to see what he does next.

In a recent interview with Extra, Toussaint teased his character's mindset following House of the Dragon's season 1 finale. The actor shared that despite Corlys' feelings toward Rhaenyra, he does see her as the true heir to the Iron Throne, as opposed to Aegon, whose ascension was plotted by Alicent and Otto Hightower. Their "land grab" was deceitful, and he stated that the Hightowers need to "pay for that," in addition to the death of Lucerys. Read Toussaint's comments regarding Corlys' stance in season 2 below:

"I think pretty much as is indicated at the end of this last season is the fact that he decided whatever I may think about Rhaenyra personally, she is the rightful heir to the throne. The land grab the Hightowers have done is treacherous, and they need to be made to pay for that. Plus… the fact is my grandson has been killed. Even though we know he’s not my grandson, but he’s my grandson. So, I think that’s kind of where he’s at, that that has to be paid for."
Will The Hightowers Stay On Top In House of the Dragon Season 2?

Fans of House of the Dragon are certainly hoping to see the Hightowers pay for their actions, though with the support behind their Green party, an eventual fall from power would not come easy. Audiences last saw the rather immediate plan to crown Aegon come into effect following King Viserys' passing, and Rhaenyra's son get killed by Aemond's dragon, Vhagar. While some may consider the season finale to be a tipping point, resulting in the Targaryen civil war, disdain towards the Hightowers began mounting throughout the series. Otto's power plays were made evident early on, instructing a young Alicent to get close to Viserys and advising the King to make Aegon his heir shortly after his birth. Alicent's own strife with Rhaenyra, and relationship with both Lord Larys and Ser Criston Cole, has fueled her to do questionable things as well.

There are some challenges in the way of the Hightowers' efforts to maintain power though, with the most notable being that Rhaenyra was made Queen by the Blacks. Her father assured her that she would inherit the Iron Throne one day and with Aegon's sudden coronation, expect to see her fight for what is rightfully hers. There is also the matter of Lucerys' death, which will be difficult for Alicent to defend, and with both Rhaenyra and Corlys wanting to see the Hightowers pay for that, it should be interesting to see what kind of direct action is taken on their parts.

Given that Lord Corlys pledges loyalty to Rhaenyra, the Hightowers will have a slew of formidable opponents to face during the Dance of the Dragons, making their claim to power more vulnerable. Those eager to find out what happens next will likely have to wait, as House of the Dragon season 2 will not release until 2024. Toussaint's comments, though, give a lot to look forward to, and audiences can see just how Corlys and others react when House of the Dragon returns.