Krysten Ritter has revealed that Jessica Jones season 3 will soon begin filming. Speaking at Comicpalooza in Houston, she explained she's currently undergoing an "intense" exercise regime in order to prepare for the production.

Nobody was surprised when, in April this year, Marvel and Netflix announced that Jessica Jones had been renewed for a third season. Although season 2 received a mixed reception from fans and critics alike, the reality is that there's clearly still intense interest in the character and world of the troubled superhero.

Krysten Ritter, who plays Jessica, appeared at Comicpalooza in Houston in a spotlight panel on the series (h/t Comic Book). Her manager decided to open things up with a rhetorical question; "So, you're getting ready for season 3?" Ritter confirmed that she is, declaring that she starts "very soon." She then detailed an exhaustive regime she's going through in order to prepare:

"I'm training, boxing, all of that. Pumping iron... You have to get yourself physically prepared to do the stunts, but also our schedule's crazy. We work long hours, sometimes we work overnight. I found that when I start off in really good shape, I feel better and I can keep up with the schedule."

When Marvel and Netflix's partnership began, they envisioned releasing only two new shows a year. That increased to three for 2017, and it looks as though 2018 is set to follow suit; Luke Cage season 2 is due to stream in early June, and Marvel is currently working on three other productions; Daredevil season 3, Iron Fist season 2, and The Punisher season 2. The dark and gritty Marvel Netflix shows have proved to be a phenomenal success, and it's clear both Marvel and Netflix are willing to double-down on them going forwards.

It's currently unclear what Jessica Jones season 3 will actually be about. The character has only had a few major runs in her own solo comics, and season 2 deviated from these comics massively, with a major overarching narrative featuring Jessica's disturbed mother. The relationship between Jessica and her "sister" Trish is likely to be a major part of the series, especially given Season 2 closed with the tease that Trish has finally gained super-powers.

In the comics, Trish becomes the superhero Hellcat, although she derived those powers through mystical rather than scientific means. Season 2 explored the idea of Trish's hunger for power as an aspect of her addictive personality, suggesting these super-powers may come at a terrible psychological price. The sad truth is that Jessica may not actually be willing to help Trish as much as she should; Jessica Jones season 2 climaxed with the shocking moment when Trish shot Jessica's mother, and the relationship between the two can never be the same again.

Jessica Jones season 3 doesn't have an official premiere date yet. Seasons 1 and 2 are now available for streaming through Netflix.