Kate Hudson wanted to be a musician but her songs were too "depressing".

The 35-year-old has starred in films such as Bride Wars and My Best Friend's Girl and was even nominated for an Oscar for her part in 2000's Almost Famous.

She's been with her rocker fiancé Matthew Bellamy, the frontman of Muse, since 2010 and they have a son together. Despite her acting success, Kate could have seen herself following a similar career path to her beau.

"When I was a lot younger, people asked me if [singing] was something I wanted to do and I was terrified of it. It was a world I thought I'd be in but it didn't end up that way," she admitted to British newspaper Metro.

"I started writing music and my music is so depressing! I kind of went, 'I can't put that out.' "That makes me have such respect for artists who really do put themselves out there because to me that's the most vulnerable place you can be, writing music and putting it out to the masses."

Luckily Kate's acting career means she's still be able to put her vocal cords to good use - between 2012 and 2013 she appeared in several episodes of musical TV show Glee.

She feels happy with where she is, which she also credits as the reason why her relationship with Matthew works so well.

"What comes first is your own physical and mental health because if that's not in place then a relationship will probably be quite complicated," she reasoned.

"And then communication. I think that's a number one tool. To be able to be vulnerable and say what you need."

Kate and Matthew's son Bingham is three, and she also has ten-year-old Ryder with her ex-husband Chris Robinson. She revealed her eldest is already into music - particularly Brit boyband One Direction.

"I've met Harry [Styles] now a couple of times," she smiled. "He's a sweet kid. I like some of their songs. My son is definitely a fan."