Julianne Moore doesn’t believe getting older is as bad as some people think.

The 53-year-old actress shares son, Caleb, 16, and 12-year-old daughter Liv with her director husband Bart Freundlich.

And growing in age doesn’t concern the stunning The Hunger Games star in the slightest.

“I can remember being 12 and everyone was talking about the year 2000 and it seemed so far away. I remember thinking, ‘I will be 40 then,’ and it just seemed so old — I couldn’t even think about it; it was utterly shocking,” she recalled in the latest issue of NewBeauty magazine. “But when you get there, it’s so much less serious than you anticipated. The changes aren’t as vast and it all happens very gradually. Getting older is not as bad as you think.”

Julianne attempts to impart life wisdom to her children in ways that empower them.

The star is particularly keen for her preteen Liv to have a wealth of self-esteem.

“For my daughter, we talk about different things as they relate to beauty. I always tell her not to overpluck her eyebrows — I remember overplucking mine in sixth grade, and I guess everyone does!” she said. “She is allowed to play with makeup, but I also remind her how beautiful she looks without it. I also try to remind her she can dress modestly and still look lovely.”

Julianne is currently preparing for the release of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, which also stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth. The feature will be in US theatres November 21.