Chalk this one up to another rumor gone astray. Probably.

Following yesterday’s scoop by Latino-Review that Johnny Depp was meeting with Marvel about possibly slipping on the cape to wield some magic for the studio’s long-in-development “Doctor Strange” movie, Deadline is today reporting that it’s not gonna happen. Apparently it was never even close to happening.

Writes the site:

I’m told by Marvel moles there is really nothing to this rumor about Johnny Depp playing Steven Strange in Dr. Strange for Marvel Studios. The story’s being bannered by Variety online, but don’t dress for it. I’m told that Depp was approached eons ago, and it never went anywhere.

Bummer. I kinda liked the idea of someone with Depp’s pedigree playing the Marvel sorcerer.

Then again, Marvel is pretty notorious for keeping a straight face about casting … right up to the moment when they finally reveal the rumor to be true. So I wouldn’t be surprise at all if this actually did happen in a few months.

It’s interesting, though, that they do confirm Marvel approached Depp back in the day. Maybe Depp has since changed his mind…?