Who is Marvel eyeing to play their Sorcerer Supreme in an upcoming/potential “Doctor Strange” movie? According to reports, it’s none other than Captain Jack Sparrow, aka Tonto, aka Johnny Depp.

The rumor comes courtesy of Latino-Review, who previously gave us the low-down on what to expect from a “Doctor Strange” movie, and now has another scoop. Of course, whether they were right or not about the last bit of news is open to debate, since Marvel has been moving pretty slowly on “Doctor Strange.” Not a surprise, because they tend to move pretty deliberately on all their movies, opting for doing it right instead of doing it fast.

Writes LR:

A well-connected source informed me tonight that Johnny Depp has taken a meeting with Marvel to discuss taking on the role of Dr. Strange.

Apparently Depp is “a comic book fan,” but then again, they all say that, don’t they? Comics are in these days. I mean, Marvel even got Robert Redford in “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” Ben Kingsley in “Iron Man 3,” and just recently, Michael Douglas in “Ant-Man.” Suddenly even established guys you wouldn’t necessarily associate with the genre are hopping onboard.

So, Depp as Doctor Strange? After the bomb of “The Lone Ranger,” I suppose he could use a surefire hit. And let’s face it, these days you don’t get anymore surefire than starring in a Marvel comic book movie. Depp has Wally Pfister’s “Transcendence” coming up. It looks like a fantastic movie, but I’m not sure if it’ll be the hit he needs to chase away the stink of “The Lone Ranger.”