Veteran actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan has sunk his teeth into some juicy roles in the past, including his turn as the delightfully terrifying Negan on The Walking Dead. He also wound up landing a part in the burgeoning DC Extended Universe as Batman’s father, Thomas Wayne, in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. While the Waynes’ death is the driving force behind Bruce’s crime-fighting career, it sounds as though Morgan has dreamed of playing a different family member for some time now. Unfortunately for the actor sake, Ben Affleck has Batman on lock down in the DCEU for some time.

Earlier this summer, Morgan expressed interest in taking his Thomas Wayne character and turning him into another version of the Batman. In fact, the actor is apparently so keen on the idea that he’s still willing to discuss ways in which both he and Affleck can play the Dark Knight at the same time.

Recently, the actor spoke with Cinema Blend about his upcoming role in the Jonás Cuarón-helmed thriller Desierto. During their chat, he also broached an idea for his own cape and cowl role, one rooted in the 2011 DC comic’s event known as “Flashpoint.” The complex but exciting story arc involved The Flash as he zooms back in time to save his mother from death. In the process, he inadvertently creates an alternate future – one where Bruce Wayne is shot and killed, rather than his parents. When Morgan was cast as Thomas Wayne, knowing the director’s knowledge of comic books, the actor secretly hoped that Snyder had this role in mind:

“Maybe when he cast me that was kind of the goal. Hopefully DC can figure this all out, and in a few years I can come back and do a Flashpoint Batman! I would love it. That would be great.”

Thomas Wayne as Batman Earth 2 Jeffrey Dean Morgan Still Wants to Play Flashpoint Batman in DCEU
The DC director may not have mentioned an alternative part when Morgan was on set for Batman V Superman, but the actor already developed the concept a long time ago. Snyder first talked about his interest in directing his own version of The Dark Knight after the two were finished shooting Watchmen. Ironically, as the director looks to lighten up Justice League, he once said the versatile actor was perfect for his adaption of Frank Miller’s classically brutal Bat book. Morgan said:

“I have not had any big discussions with him about [Flashpoint], but I remember when we were in Australia doing Watchmen press, and I was having dinner with Zack or whatever. And he was like, ‘My dream is to do the Frank Miller Batman.’ And he goes, ‘You would be an awesome Batman.’ The darker version.”

In “Flashpoint” Thomas Wayne’s Batman lives in a very disturbing world, one where he faces off against his wife – who loses her sanity after the death of her son and becomes the Joker. The darker future world became an instant classic, one which Dean’s downright despicable turn as The Comedian would fit perfectly as a extremist version of Batman. Of course, the CW’s Arrowverse is already in the process of adapting a variation of “Flashpoint.” But the overall separation of DC’s televised and feature universes still allows for the very interesting possibility – one the DCEU’s Ezra Miller has even teased, at least in passing.

Although a major event picture, or perhaps string of pictures, detailing the “Flashpoint” saga would be amazing, it would take quite a bit of delicate plotting to accomplish. Depending upon how well major event films like Justice League parts 1 and 2 and the double-whammy of Avengers: Infinity War go over with audiences, perhaps the time-warp story could enter into the DCEU. Early rumors did point to a possible Tom Wayne tie-in for Morgan in BVS. Although nothing came to fruition, it would be great if DC had something along those lines in mind. Because, to be honest, watching JDM sport the Thomas Wayne Batsuit and red eyes would be pretty amazing.

NEXT: BEN AFFLECK CONFIRMS BATMAN SOLO FILM IS TITLED THE BATMAN

Suicide Squad is now playing in theaters. Wonder Woman opens in theaters on June 2, 2017, followed by Justice League on November 17, 2017; Aquaman on July 27, 2018; an untitled DC Film on October 5, 2018; Shazam on April 5, 2019; Justice League 2 on June 14, 2019; an untitled DC film on November 1, 2019; Cyborg on April 3, 2020; and Green Lantern Corps on July 24, 2020. The Flash, The Batman, Dark Universe and Man of Steel 2 are currently without a release dates.