When a large change to a show, such as a lead actor's departure, is announced, something fans can tend to do is instantly claim that it will be 'ruined forever'.

And sometimes there is a precedent for this - just look at something like Scrubs as an example. But it doesn't always have to be that way.

Still, it's a fine line to tread, and it's a discussion the cast and crew of The Walking Dead have definitely had regarding Andrew Lincoln's departure as Rick Grimes.

Speaking to Digital Spy and other press at New York Comic Con, Negan actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan praised Rick's exit, saying: "The way Angela [Kang, showrunner] and Greg [Nicotero, executive producer] and the writers have used this… because it would have been easy for us to fall apart.

10 proper, deep-cut Walking dead Easter eggs
"Don't think that we didn't think that there was a possibility that things could go to shit – because they could have, and I've seen shows go to shit if they lose a Rick Grimes-type character.

"[But] I think that it's been used to its advantage. I really think that the storytelling has been super exciting, and the tone of the show got to change. It's not a reboot, it's a new beginning."

The upcoming season of TWD won't just bring us Rick's departure, but some key characters are also making a return.