"When you play the Joker, there’s no ownership there," says the actor who played the iconic Batman villain in last year's 'Suicide Squad.'

If all the talk of multiple Warner Bros. movies featuring the Joker seems overly confusing, take heart in the fact that even the Joker doesn't quite know what's going on. Or, at least, Jared Leto, the most recent man to bring the character to life on the big screen, doesn't.

"I’m a little confused, too," the actor told On Demand Entertainment during a promotional appearance for the video game Destiny 2. (Leto and 30 Seconds to Mars bandmate Too Milicevic both attended the game's London launch on Wednesday.)

So far, here are the movies featuring the Joker that we know are in the works: a team-up with Harley Quinn and a sequel to Suicide Squad (both to feature Leto's Joker), plus a stand-alone project from The Hangover's Todd Phillips that takes place in an entirely different reality to the other movies and that would star an entirely different actor (possibly an A-lister like Leonardo DiCaprio).
"I love the Joker," Leto continued. "He’s a great character and really fun character to play. But it’s a big universe and when you play the Joker, there’s no ownership there. You have the honor of holding the baton for a little while and then passing it off. There are other films that are in development and I’m excited to see what comes from them."

Insiders told The Hollywood Reporter last week that Leto was not pleased by the multiple Joker situation.

The actor had been expected to reprise the role in future projects set inside the DC Extended Universe of Suicide Squad and Justice League; whether Leton's comments about passing the baton suggest that's no longer going to be the case — or, perhaps more likely, that he doesn't actually know for sure himself — will remain to be seen.

Hat tip to to Batman-News for spotting the interview.

Source