JADA Pinkett Smith has revealed how she felt "extremely suicidal" when she first found fame.

The 47-year-old actress has had a stellar career, starring in movies including The Nutty Professor, The Matrix Reloaded and the Madagascar animated film series.

But in a preview of the Facebook Watch series, Red Table Talk, Jada reveals she had an "emotional breakdown" when she first moved to Los Angeles to become a star.

In the show, which airs on Monday, she says: "I had gotten to LA and gotten a certain amount of success and realised that that wasn't the answer.

"[The success] wasn't what was going to make everything okay. [It] actually made this worse.

"I was extremely suicidal, I had a complete emotional collapse."

The episode focuses on mental health, and Jada - who is married to Hollywood A-lister Will Smith - spoke honestly and opening about her own struggles.

She said: "It's like when you just don't have control over emotions, your thoughts, you feel completely and utterly out of control.

"I don't even think at that particular time I understood what I was going through."

Jada was joined in the discussion by her mother Adrienne Banfield-Jones and daughter Willow Smith, 18.

She continued: "Now I know that it was what people would consider a nervous breakdown."

In response, her mum said she "absolutely understood" what her famous daughter had been going through at the time.

Jada married Men in Black star Will, 50, in 1997 and the couple have son Jaden, 20, as well as daughter Willow.