EARLY SOCIAL REACTIONS SUGGEST THAT GREAT ACTION, A SCENE-STEALING BABY, AND PLENTY FOR PARENTS MAKE INCREDIBLES 2 A CONTENDER FOR BLOCKBUSTER OF THE SUMMER.

Some fans and critics have been bemoaning Pixar’s lack of originals lately – we got Coco last year, but there have been a series of sequels over the last decade, including Finding Dory recently, now Incredibles 2, and next up on the slate we will get the fourth Toy Story. Where’s the next original story, with original characters, story beats, and ideas we haven’t seen before? We will have to wait. But when sequels are as good as Pixar’s – Finding Dory sits at 94% on the Tomatometer, and Toy Story 2 is considered among the best animated movies ever made – who are we to complain? Does Incredibles 2 compare to those greats? Or is it more… Cars 2?

If reactions on social media following the movie’s premiere and preview screenings are anything to go by, we’re going to say Pixar looks to be onto another winner. Below is a breakdown of the first social reactions we’re seeing from critics and entertainment journalists online. Check back at Rotten Tomatoes for a Tomatometer score when the review embargo breaks on June 11.

WE’VE BEEN WAITING 14 YEARS – WAS THE WAIT WORTH IT?
“Hey, 14 years was worth the wait! Incredibles 2 is a whole lot of fun…People who loved the first movie will be pleased.” – Mike Ryan, Uproxx

“A charming, fun, smart, satisfying superhero story that was worth the wait.” – Kate Erbland, IndieWire

ARE WE REALLY SURPRISED INCREDIBLES 2 IS INCREDIBLE?
“I had my doubts, but was thoroughly impressed.” – Eric Eisenberg, Cinema Blend

“I spent 14 years arguing that the world didn’t need an Incredibles 2. After tonight, I would welcome an Incredibles 3 with open arms.” – Scott Mendelson, Forbes

“It should surprise no one that Incredibles 2 is a flat out masterpiece — thrilling, moving and impeccably designed. Worth every second of the 14 year wait.” – Drew Taylor, The Playlist

“I really liked the first one, I LOVED this one.” – Kristian Harloff, Schmoes Know

“It improves on practically everything from the original.” – Chris E. Hayner, GameSpot

“A worthy sequel to a tough act to follow.” – Simon Thompson, IGN

AND HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO OTHER PIXAR MOVIES?
“Incredibles 2 is probably the best sequel Pixar has made outside of the Toy Story franchise.” – Kyle Buchanan, Vulture

HOW’S THE ACTION?
“Incredibles 2 is great! Amazing action sequences.” – Kristopher Tapley, Variety

“The action is bigger and better than before… Another Pixar winner.” – Germain Lussier, io9

“The action set pieces are tasty, impressive, never over-egged. Plenty for kids and adults to get their teeth into and a few belly laughs too.” – Simon Thompson, IGN

THE ORIGINAL HAD A GREAT SCORE, HOW’S THE MUSIC THIS TIME?
“That score! More A+ work from Michael Giacchino that I’m gonna need to own.” – Perri Nemiroff, Collider

“WOW is Jack Jack a scene stealer.” – Perri Nemiroff, Collider

“Jack Jack steals the show!” – Jenna Busch, Legion of Leia

“Jack Jack steals the show but that was to be expected.” – Scott Menzel, We Live Entertainment

“Jack Jack and Edna are even better the second time around.” – Joelle Monique, Polygon

WILL I LAUGH?
“Super funny” – Germain Lussier, io9

“Super-funny (see what I did there?).” – Jenna Busch, Legion of Leia

WHAT’S IN IT FOR MOMS AND DADS?
“I would like to personally thank the men and women of Pixar for making one of the best documentaries about parenthood I have ever seen.” – Matt Singer, Screen Crush

OK, BUT ARE THERE NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL?
“It takes a while to get going but has good messages even if some of them are a bit heavy handed.” – Scott Menzel, We Live Entertainment

“There’s a little bit of predictability in the story.” – Chris E. Hayner, GameSpot

“It shares some narrative DNA with the first film but it works nonetheless.” – Germain Lussier, io9

IS THIS THE MOVIE OF THE SUMMER?
“Will go down as one of the best titles of the summer.” – Eric Eisenberg, Cinema Blend

“My favorite summer movie so far this season….Sweet, hilarious, and terrific pacing w/ a breezy story packed w/ action & heart.” – Erik Davis, Fandango

Incredibles 2 is in theaters June 15.