I'M A CELEBRITY made a spectacular return tonight as this year's stars faced jaw-dropping challenges - and that's before they even made it into camp.

Holly Willoughby and Declan Donnelly were paired together for the first time in the show's 18 year run as Ant McParltin takes an extended break from the spotlight.

While fans did lament his absence, they also got behind Holly and praised her performance.

Writing on Twitter, they said: "I think your doing a great job holly! It's your first time doing I'm a celeb and I'm really impressed 😊 well done to you and Dec! Great start to the series 🙏❤.

I’m a Celeb is just brilliant. Missing the Ant & Dec banter but Holly & Dec are doing a wonderful job! #loserscantbechoosers 😂 @antanddec @iMACelebrity.

"Oh I’m lovin Holly on I’m a Celeb ☺️❤️.

"So happy I’m a celeb is back. I am missing ant, but can’t deny holly did a great job tonight.

"Great start to I’m A Celeb. Love this show, love Dec and LOVE Holly! #imacelebrity.

"Enjoyed I'm a celeb. Miss Ant but Holly's doing ok."

The likes of Harry Redknapp, Anne Hegerty and Emily Atack were pushed to their limits as they battled it out for the right to begin jungle life in Croc Creek rather than the more basic Snake Rock.

Red team captains John Barrowman and Sair Khan went up against yellow counterparts James McVey and Rita Simons to build a team of celebs capable of winning a final race to see which team ended up in which camp.

First challenge The Edge was the highest in the show's history - some 100 metres above the jungle floor on a cliff edge.

Hearts were in mouths as the four tried to collect the most flags on a frame high above the Tanninaba Falls.

Yellows won with James and Rita choosing The Chase's Anne Hegerty and singer Fleur East, leaving football manager Harry Redknapp and TV presenter Nick Knowles to the Red team.

Rita said: "We didn’t know what was coming up so we reckoned someone physically fit and strong in case it was a physical challenge and someone with brains . . .”

Nick Knowles hit back: “So I’m unfit and brainless”.

Next up were the Hell Holes, with Nick and Fleur jumping behind the wheels of jeeps while Anne and Harry acted as navigators.

Racing over sand to holes filled with creepy crawlies, the navigators had to reach inside blind and try and retrieve tokens in the fastest time.

They picked Hollyoaks actor Malique Thompson-Dwyer to join them over Emily Atack, The two newbies first had to do a 12,000ft skydive before they could join their teams and take on the final head to head race.

Holly Willoughby told the celebs that the winning team of this final race would get the better camp, an evening meal and be immune from the first two Bushtucker Trials - the losers would be in a different camp with only rice and beans.

The teams had to race to a pontoon in the middle of a lake which contained their jungle gear. The first team to raise their flag back on shore took the spoils.

Showing the greater initiative the reds spread their weight across the boat with John Barrowman swimming alongside it. As a result they sailed to victory and made Croc Creek theirs.

The realisation of the basic level of living at Snake Rock hit home, with Anne bursting into tears and Emily attacked by a leech.

But it wasn't all rosy in Croc Creek either, with Harry shocked by the emu dinner, claiming he thought he'd be treated to bacon sarnies and coffee instead.