Fox has plans for another Wolverine film, again directed by James Mangold and starring Hugh Jackman, but those plans aren’t necessarily in line with the actor’s. In an interview with Vanity Fair, the veteran X-Men star made it clear he will only pop the claws again for a Wolverine sequel if the story meets his specifications.

“I don’t know whether or not I will do this next movie,” he said. “I am really proud of [The Wolverine] and I am excited to develop something with Jim Mangold from the beginning because that is a great ride. That’s exciting, to see what we come up with but I have a very high expectation of what it would need to be [for me to star in it] and if it doesn’t reach those, I won’t be doing it.”

Jackman confirmed that there’s no script for the Wolverine sequel at the moment, “but Jim Mangold and I were literally on the phone last night talking about ideas but there is no script and no writer yet so it’s a way off.”

Beyond the Wolverine solo films, Jackman next appears as the fan-favorite mutant in X-Men: Days of Future Past, hitting theaters on May 23, 2014. Director Bryan Singer has also announced a Days of Future Past follow-up titled X-Men: Apocalypse, arriving on May 27, 2016. Given his current position on playing the character, there’s no guarantee that Jackman will appear as Wolverine in Apocalypse.