Vanessa Hudgens has paid tribute to her boyfriend's late mother.

The 25-year-old actress is currently dating Austin Butler, who she struck up a romance with in 2012.

Earlier this morning, the 23-year-old actor took to Twitter to share the sad news that his mom Lori had died, which Vanessa re-tweeted and added her own words of sympathy.

“@austinbutler: Lori Butler, my mom, my hero & my best friend passed away this morning. Lets all celebrate her." I miss you already mama.

"#ripLoriButler #celebrateLori spread the love for Lori (sic)", Vanessa wrote.

Vanessa's own mother Gina also took to the social networking site to pay her condolences. The two women appeared to have become close since their children began their relationship.

"Lori, RIP. You'll be forever alive in our hearts & mind. You'll always be our angel in heaven watching over us. U will be missed!
"Lori, we love you! Rest in peace! You will be missed! (sic)" Gina wrote.

It has yet to be revealed what caused Lori's death.

Vanessa and Austin's romance has been going from strength to strength. Last month the Spring Breakers actress took to her Tumblr page to wish her beau a happy birthday, posting a heartfelt message to The Carrie Diaries star.

“Yesterday was the love of my life’s birthday,” she wrote on August 18. “Happy birthday to the man with the kindest heart, beautiful soul, crazy talent and best looks I’ve ever seen. He never stops inspiring me in every aspect of life and always lifts those around him up higher. I thank god so greatly for blessing the world 23 years ago by creating Austin Butler.”