While audiences continue to ponder both actors' franchise futures, Elizabeth Olsen opens up about how she passed the Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness John Krasinski lie detector. The Marvel Cinematic Universe sequel picked up the threads from WandaVision, which ended with Olsen's titular character in possession of the Darkhold, and Spider-Man: No Way Home, from which Benedict Cumberbatch's sorcerer was grappling from having broken open the multiverse. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness saw Strange facing off against the Scarlet Witch as she hunted down America Chavez to use her multiverse-jumping abilities to be reunited with her sons in an alternate universe.

As the film took its characters through a variety of universes, new and alternate versions of beloved MCU heroes, including Lashana Lynch's Captain Marvel, Hayley Atwell's Captain Carter and Anson Mount's Black Bolt. Two of the most speculated and anticipated cameos from Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' Illuminati were that of Patrick Stewart's Professor X, who was teased in trailers, and John Krasinski's Mister Fantastic, a casting fans had asked Marvel to make happen for years. Krasinski's appearance was largely kept under wraps until the film's release, even as one star was nearly pressed to reveal the truth early.

In a recent interview with Variety, Elizabeth Olsen looked back on her recent history with the MCU, including Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. When asked about the lie detector test, in which she successfully kept John Krasinski's cameo a secret, the Wanda actor opened up about the key way she was able to pass the test. See what Olsen explained below:

I was very confused when she was asking me those questions. I also had a terrible cold while doing press, so I feel like I had no filter because I was so sick. I didn’t have COVID, but I was sick for 14 days, and it was amazing doing press sick. You just don’t care! But I also had never met John Krasinski. I wasn’t lying! We filmed it separately. I was with the stand in. I don’t even know if they’d figured out he was doing it.
How John Krasinski's Mr. Fantastic Death Was Filmed

Krasinski's appearance in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness proved to be a short-lived one for MCU fans as Wanda quickly tore him apart during her assault on the Illuminati's headquarters. Such large-scale productions as the Doctor Strange sequel do sometimes see actors not actually sharing scenes with one another, be it scheduling conflicts arise for one, or in the case of the MCU movie, COVID protocols could prevent stars from being with one another. Given the majority of Wanda and Mr. Fantastic's scene in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness consisted of back and forth takes with the other's back in front of the camera, it makes sense Olsen was able to pass the lie detector test regarding Krasinski's well-guarded cameo.

Though he met his end in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, many MCU fans are holding out hope for Krasinski to return as Mr. Fantastic for the in-development Fantastic Four movie. The lack of casting announcements at this year's D23 Expo left some confused, as rumors had swirled in the lead up to the event of Krasinski being set for the Marvel panel to confirm his return, but with director Matt Shakman having only been confirmed just prior to D23, with the reported explanation being that Kevin Feige wants input from his director on casting decisions. While audiences wait word on Krasinski's potential return, they can catch his MCU debut with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness streaming on Disney+ now.