Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit director Peter Jackson has reiterated his desire to shoot an episode of Doctor Who.

The filmmaker first expressed an interest in working on the much-loved BBC show in 2012, before claiming in March of this year that he was still keen to be involved. Now, in an interview with Digital Spy, Jackson has insisted that he hopes discussions about him overseeing an episode of the show are "actually kind of serious" and come to fruition.

Asked about the possibility of directing an episode, he replied: "I would be very happy to. I'd love to try my hand at television, because I've never had the discipline of having to shoot for those impossibly tiny schedules. I think I could do it OK now."

He also quipped that they could base the episode in his native New Zealand to suit his schedule, joking: "I did suggest that they did a New Zealand story - something to do with the [rugby union] All Blacks versus the Daleks. There's a good story in there, although obviously the All Blacks would have to win!"

Jackson's next film, The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug, will open in cinemas on December 13 this year (2013), before the trilogy concludes with There And Back Again in December 2014. The first film in the series, An Unexpected Journey, was released in December last year and took over $1 billion (£670 million) at the box office worldwide.