The editor responsible for the comic book careers of Joss Whedon and Chuck Palahniuk will continue to work with the company on a freelance basis.

Scott Allie, the editor who helped shepherd the comic book careers of Buffy Summers, Tyler Durden and Hellboy, has left his position with Oregon-based Dark Horse Comics after more than two decades, the publisher has confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

In a statement, the publisher said, "Scott Allie will depart as a full-time employee from Dark Horse Comics on Friday, October 6th. He will continue his career in comics as a freelance editor and writer and will work with Dark Horse on several key projects. Dark Horse would like to thank Scott for his contributions during his 23 years with the company."

Allie had been with Dark Horse since the mid-1990s, and has been the editor (and occasionally, co-writer) on Mike Mignola's Hellboy and related titles, Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic book continuation, and Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club 2. Additionally, he edited the publisher's Star Wars and Conan titles, as well as a swath of original properties including Gerard Way's The Umbrella Academy and Joelle Jones and Jamie Rich's Lady Killer. Reasons for his departure remain unclear at this point.

In 2015, Allie stepped down as Dark Horse's editor-in-chief after three years, a move that followed reports of inappropriate behavior towards creators at that year's San Diego Comic-Con and on other occasions. Allie later publicly apologized for his Comic-Con behavior, saying that he was "deeply embarrassed by my actions and how my behavior reflects on Dark Horse Comics, my friends and family." At that point, he became the publisher's executive senior editor, a position held until his departure.

Allie has not publicly commented on his departure from he company, initially reported by Bleeding Cool, although mention of any official association with Dark Horse Comics has disappeared from his Twitter bio.

Source