HBO president Michael Lombardo sat and answered some questions today at the Television Critics Association Press Tour, and when talk turned to the somewhat negative reception the second season of True Detective has been receiving, Lombardo defended the choices made by writer Nic Pizzolatto and advised that everyone should withhold final judgement until the season was over.

"I think Nic Pizzolatto is one of the most talented writers working in TV and motion pictures today," Lombardo said. "I think he takes a big swing and all I can tell you is that I think the this [season's] end is as satisfying as any show I've seen. Much like all of our shows, I didn't believe this season, or last season, was intended for as big of an audience as we're getting. We're getting 12 million viewers an episode. I'm enormously proud of it. If [Nic] wanted to do another season, I told him our door is open. I'd love to do another season with him. I think he's a spectacular writer."

True-Detective-Season-2-pic-2.jpg
Colin Farrell in True Detective.

If the show did return for a Season 3, would Lombardo have any specific changes he'd like to see made? "I think the show works," Lombardo explained. "First of all, I think you need to watch the entire season. I have and I think it's enormously satisfying. I'm not in the business, and have never been in the business, of micromanaging the process. In the sense of telling a writer these are they beats they need to follow or telling them how to write a story."

"I think Nic is a very bold storyteller," Lombardo continued. "And I mean that in only positive ways. I think he takes risks in how he lays out a story and with the pacing of stories and I think it pays off. We didn't go into business with him - and we never go into business like this - thinking that this was going to be a big hit. I know [his writing] speaks to people though. That doesn't mean [it's] going to speak to you. And I've already called him and said 'Nic, if you want to do a Season 3, let's start talking.' I'm not calling him to say let's talk about Season 3 and here are some rules you need to follow. I think what he's doing on True Detective is so much bolder and braver and, for me, satisfying than what I see in film that i I'd be happy to be in business with him of a long time."