While headlines have lately been dominated by Marvel’s early release of the Avengers: Age of Ultron teaser and DC and Warner Bros. finally unveiling their shared cinematic universe plans, there’s another major franchise that’s been keeping itself very much under wrap: Star Wars.

Officially, the new era of Star Wars under the mantle of Disney began with the animated series, Star Wars Rebels, but not until next year will we see the first installment of the new Star Wars live-action movie trilogy in theaters. Yet, since announcing the cast earlier this year and the few videos director J.J. Abrams has shared from the set, there isn’t much we know about Episode VII beyond our own speculation.

In addition to the new trilogy, Disney also has plans for standalone features set within the Star Wars universe, which would release on the off years in between Episodes VII, VIII, and IX. We know even less about these films, but Boba Fett, Yoda, and even a squadron of X-Wing pilots have been rumored as possible subjects.

Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) was selected to direct their first standalone Star Wars film while Josh Trank (Fantastic Four) has been tapped for the second. And along with Abrams directing Episode VII and Rian Johnson on Episode VIII, it’s an impressive line-up Disney has assembled to continue Star Wars‘ film legacy; a trend they’re only continuing by naming cinematographer Greig Fraser (Zero Dark Thirty) for Edward’s standalone feature.

Fraser revealed his new gig while chatting with In Contention about his latest film, Foxcatcher, saying:

“I’m doing a f***ing Star Wars movie, which is like – I don’t know about you but Star Wars is like my first film love, do you know what I mean?… Gareth is doing a standalone film. Of course I do know some specifics, but it’s obviously something I’ve signed my kidneys away for.”

I imagine Disney would take more than Fraser’s kidneys were he to spill the beans about Edward’s Star Wars film, but anyway, their team-up should prove a good match for whatever is in store. Fraser has an impressive resume, with his work on films like Zero Dark Thirty and Snow White and the Huntsman showing he should be able to easily handle an action-packed, sci-fi adventure.

It’s really hard to say more considering we still don’t know what Edwards’ standalone Star Wars film will be about. The most recent rumors suggest Edwards’ film will star Boba Fett, and an exploration of that dubious character set against the seedy underworld of a galaxy far, far away would make a good fit for both Edwards and Fraser.

It shouldn’t be too long before we start hearing more concrete details about Edwards’ standalone Star Wars movie, seeing as filming will begin in London next year. Once the first few casting announcement have been made, we’ll have a clearer picture of what sort of Star Wars film this first standalone feature will be, and an even better idea of why Edwards and Fraser’s were chosen for it.

What do you think of the news Greg Fraser has been tapped as cinematographer for Disney’s first standalone Star Wars feature? Does anything from his resume suggest what sort of film Gareth Edwards’ standalone feature will be? Let us hear what you think in the comments below!

Gareth Edwards’ Star Wars spinoff opens in theaters on December 16th, 2016.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-spin...nematographer/