A FIRST Dates hopeful has come under fire for discussing his potential new love's weight when they met for the first time.

The singleton, Othello, was matched with Juliette at the First Dates Hotel in Italy when he inadvertently called her “fat” during their awkward encounter.

As they got to know to each other the conversation turned to weight, with Juliette revealing she didn’t used to put on weight until about six months ago.

Interested Othello asked: "What, did your metabolism just go 'See ya later'?"

He continued: "I'm not a fan of skinny girls, I like girls with... well I don't want to say meat like you're fat - you are not.

"Most men don't like that skinny look, you know... "Look, I think you look good. Let me rephrase that, I think you look amazing."

His date Juliette looked very unimpressed by his comments and headed to the loo, while those watching at home couldn’t stop cringing at the interaction.

Taking to Twitter to comment on it, one person wrote: “Oh mate! I totally feel for you there! I know what he was trying to say but he basically called her fat then #FirstDatesHotel.”

Another remarked: “Othello...you’re digging yourself a bloody big 🕳 hole! #firstdateshotel.”

While someone else commented: “10 minutes in, 'I don't like skinny girls, I'm not saying you're fat'. Good start #FirstDatesHotel.”

And another: “Telling a girl she’s fat on a first date is probably the biggest no-no... there’s no going back from that #FirstDatesHotel.”