The Apprentice fired its latest boardroom hopeful in tonight's episode (October 10), with David being the second contestant to be subjected to Lord Sugar's finger pointing.

In a chat with Digital Spy following his exit, David described how "bitterly disappointed" he was by the decision.

"Nobody wants to leave the process this early," he explained.

During the second week task, which saw the group divide into male and female teams once more in order to create an augmented reality comic book, we watched as Frank put himself forward as Project Manager.

Related: 7 of the cringiest moments to come from The Apprentice's first episode

David stands by the fact that he wanted to be the one to do it, revealing that he'd felt "fairly quiet in week one" and that he knew he needed to "step forward".

But ultimately, it was his pitching skills (or lack there of) that cinched Lord Sugar's decision, although PM Frank barely made it through to week three himself. For a while, in fact, it seemed pretty likely that we might have a mass firing on our hands.

Related: The Apprentice viewers are furious at one candidate's sexist comments

"It could have been a historic early triple firing," David joked.

"I was expecting the finger to point to the man that made decisions [Frank]," he also admitted.

Reflecting on who might win the series, David seems to think that it's going to be the year of the woman.

Name-checking Sarah Ann and Khadija, he says he has a "funny feeling" that one of the ladies might come out on top.

"Tom stood out to me," he also pointed out. "I think he's got a lot of what The Apprentice is looking for."