FERNE McCann has slammed Zara McDermott after the Love Island star claimed she had been secretly messaging Charlie Brake before he split from Ellie Brown.

The former Towie star was pictured hand in hand with the hunky millionaire last week during a night out in London.

But speaking to The Sun Online at the Pride of Britain Awards, Ellie's best friend Zara claimed Ferne and Charlie had been secretly messaging before he split from Ellie at the end of September.

Zara said: "I think that there may have been some DM sliding before when Ellie and Charlie were still together, she knew from like, months ago.

"She was always a bit suspicious and like 'is something going on?' and people were like 'no he loves you' but clearly things have escalated since they split."

However Ferne, 28, strenuously denied the claims when she spoke to The Sun Online moments later on the same red carpet.

She said: "Absolutely not, I've been so busy focusing on my baby and career, I would never, ever message someone if they were in a relationship, and you've heard it from the horse's mouth.

"It would never be with the intention to date or something like that if someone is in a relationship."

Asked about the pictures of her and Charlie together, Ferne replied: "We went out as a group, we had a lot of fun and I think he's very handsome."

Ferne also opened up about her attitude to dating had changed now she has daughter Sunday, who celebrates her first birthday later this week.

She explained: "It's not just 'yeah I'll go on a random date with someone' because obviously I have got someone else to think about.

"I think that comes with age whether you've got a baby or not, I think you are more choosy.

"Up until this point I haven't really had the time to date, I've been focusing so much on Sunday and on my career and I've been really busy. Who knows?"